Sunday, February 14, 2010

the young cartographer



I love maps, and I love introducing maps and map-making to young children.

Several years ago, when I first started teaching, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Sara Fanelli's "My Map Book" in a used book store. This book is a perfect tool for introducing the concept of maps and map-making to young children. The pictures are engaging and relatable, and Sara Fanelli shows that there are many types of maps to be made. Children can see a map of "my day," "my neighborhood," "the sea," "my tummy," "my family," and "my dog," among others. The book is both a jumping off point and a continued source of inspiration to children as they set about the task of charting their environment, their experiences, and their fantasies.


* images found on Sara Fanelli's website and Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment